Water and Stars: A Solstice Solidarity Action to Stop Line 3
Our broader community has been invited by Native leaders to bring our collective energy together in prayer, spiritual practice, ritual, or reflection on Monday, December 21. On this Winter Solstice, we will rebuke the destructive Line 3 oil pipeline and offer a shared dream of a just and sustainable future. All are welcome, and you can participate from anywhere!
This action of solidarity is a collaboration between Minnesota Interfaith Power & Light, Winona LaDuke, Honor the Earth, and Indigenous leaders on the ground resisting the Line 3 oil pipeline.
Here’s what we’re asking you to do:
- We hope you can participate at sunset on the 21st, but please pick the time that works best for you!
- Find a quiet spot in your home, somewhere outdoors, or a space near a body of water.
- If you are outside and can remain masked and at a 6 foot distance, invite friends or members of your faith or spiritual community to join you.
- Offer a prayer, spiritual practice, reflection, ritual, or whatever feels meaningful from your faith/spiritual tradition or life.
- We have created a special Water and Stars Action Guide (Google Doc or PDF) that provides a starting place for planning or engaging in this action. It was written for people from many different faiths, traditions, religions, and spiritual practices, and for those who do not identify in this way.
- To center your practice, we invite you to watch a video from the 12/17 protest rally held in Palisade at one of the pipeline construction sites. It is less than 3 minutes long.
- Send us photos or videos from your offering through our Facebook inbox or by emailing [email protected].
- Post about your solstice water offering on social media. Tag MNIPL (Facebook or Twitter) and Honor the Earth (Facebook or Twitter) and use the hashtag #solsticewater
We know that the solstice is sacred in many traditions of spiritual practice. We honor the specificity of those traditions, and recognize that we all experience the rhythms of the year, the turnings of the light, and the ways that darkness welcomes us into possibility and transformation.
We are inviting you into this action of solidarity because Water Protectors and Native leaders are putting their bodies on the line to stop the destructive Enbridge Line 3 oil pipeline. The pipeline violates Native treaty rights, takes wealth out of communities and out of sustainable working class jobs in favor of corporate profit, and threatens to destroy our waterways and water quality.
As people of different traditions, faiths, identities, and experiences, we are being asked to show up with our love, and our shared belief in an interdependent and interconnected world.
Share your intention to participate on December 21 and other ways you’d like to be involved in the fight to Stop Line 3:
This event has past; registration form has been closed.
Visit MNIPL’s Line 3 pipeline page and Honor the Earth’s website for ongoing details, news, and opportunities to be part of or support the pipeline resistance.
- This event has passed.