COVID-19 Update from MNIPL
We hope that you and your loved ones are well. We are writing in regard to the COVID-19 pandemic, with updates to prioritize the health, safety and well-being of our community.
The outbreak represents a serious threat to public health, and we encourage you to practice social distancing and stay at home as much as possible in order to prevent its spread.
- Staff and volunteers have been directed to work from home and prepare for extended remote work
- Meetings will be held virtually, via zoom calls or phone
- Events and gatherings have been postponed, cancelled, or moved online
- We will continue to actively consider public health recommendations and provide updates
Community is at the heart of our movement, and we are committed to organizing together creatively using our phones and online tools, in order to build momentum for climate action.
We recognize the clear parallels between the COVID-19 pandemic and the climate crisis. For both, a rapid and scientifically-informed response is necessary for preventing the most dangerous outcomes.
Please note the following cancellations:
- The Water Protector Tour in Northern Minnesota has been cancelled, and we hope to reschedule it for the summer. We will issue refunds for any payments made.
- The MPCA has cancelled all in person public events regarding Enbridge’s proposed Line 3 replacement project
- The “Here Comes the Sun” event tomorrow in Duluth at AICHO has been postponed
- Sunday’s event with J. Drake Hamilton hosted by Interfaith Creation Care St Paul is cancelled, and they hope to reschedule in the fall. In the meantime, we encourage you to listen to a 50 minute podcast J recorded about Minnesotans at the 35,000 person UN International climate summit in Madrid, Spain in December 2019.
- We are actively working on plans to organize together online and on our phones for Earth Day. Stay tuned.
This is a helpful resource with evidence-based information about COVID-19: https://www.flattenthecurve.com
Be well and safe, and let’s continue to support each other. Be sure to take care of yourself and those closest to you.